March 13, 2013

New Handmade BOS

Thanks to my friend Renee's album reminded me how much I love Practical Magic, I decided to make a  new BOS based on the one from the movie, but with my own twist. So this is what I did and why.

I started with two binders (I went with binders because I like the option of taking stuff out or rearranging the pages when needed.) I then hot glued them together in a way they would open the way I wanted.

I then got a paper bag(I have some rather huge ones, they are like 3 feet deep) I cut it to the sizes I needed, then proceeded to mod podge the paper to the binders. as seen in the pic below.



When do it looks the way a school book would look if you where using a paper bag book cover.


after letting the glue/mod podge dry, I painted it a mixture of med brown and gold paint mixed, then added red tissue paper(also mod podged for protection) to the inside covers.


I then after letting all of that dry, I went over the outside with a watered down black to give it an aged look. I then let it all dry thoroughly.


After it had dried completely I added a triquetra to the center of the front page.

  
Today after I knew it was 100% dry I transferred everything from my old BOS to the new one.


I am very happy with the way this turned out, Have any of you ever attempted to make your own BOS in a similar way or would you ever try?

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to use a binder for ages because I prefer to have things in order but can't stand the look of a binder & this totally fixes that. Dunno how I didn't think of it before now. Great job and thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. When I finished making it, I was like, "Why didn't I do that sooner?" I hope this helps you make your own. Oh and using a binder is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so extremely organized that it drives those around me absolutely batty. But I just can't do the binder BOS thing. I guess I like it more organic and true to the path I've walked. BUT... this is awesome because everything else I do -crochet, beading, bill paying, you name it- goes in a binder. They're all mismatched and... well... ugly so this is great! Thanks for linking up to PPBH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your BOS looks great! My current book of shadows is a binder, but I've had it for over a decade and it is falling apart. Not to mention, I barely use it anymore. I've been toying with the idea of modding a post-bound scrapbook or sketchbook into a new BOS.

    ReplyDelete