June 28, 2013

DIY First Aid Salve

Over the past year I have been making a lot of my own health and beauty products. Today I thought I would share how I make a great First Aid Salve. using Calendula, Lavender, and Peppermint.

First let me explain why I used the herbs.oils that I did.
Calendula - Can be used to heal wounds - acne - varicose veins - inflammation - dry skin - eczema - sunburn - scalds and burns - sore nipples from breast feeding - diaper rash
Lavender - Can be used as an - analgesic, antiseptic, anti-fungal, antispasmodic, antiviral, decongestant, sedative - Treats - headaches - eczema - burns and scalds - muscle pain - insect bites and stings - chest congestion - sunburn - diaper rash - acne - cramps - insomnia
Peppermint - Can be used as an - analgesic, antispasmodic, anesthetic, decongestant, insecticide, Treats - insect bites and other skin irritations including itching
First you need to start with making an infused Calendula oil, you'll need Olive Oil(I use EVOO) fresh or dried Calendula(I get mine from The Green Eyed Owl) and a clean dry mason jar with lid.


You want to fill the mason jar with your Calendula, then cover that on the olive oil, close the lid tightly and shake. next set the jar in a sunny window sill, you should let your herb/oil mixture infuse for 4 to 6 weeks, shaking it up daily.


Making Your Salve

For this part you will need - Your infused oil, lavender essential oil, peppermint essential oil, beeswax, cheese cloth, a bowl, a pot, wooded spoon, and a clean jar/container for storing your salve.


First drain your herb/oil infusion through the cheese cloth, squeezing out every bit of herbal goodness.


After you done straining your oil, put the bowl into a pot with enough water in it to create a double boiler effect. heat your oil *DO NOT BOIL* when oil is hot add 2tsps of beeswax and stir I use the bottom of a wooden spoon for this.


When melted together thoroughly do a few test drops to see if it's the consistency you want. When it's the consistency you want, remove from heat and add 15 to 20 drops of each essential oil, then carefully pore it into your clean dry Jar.


Allow to cool thoroughly without the lid, then you can add your lid and label( I made this cute label)



This salve works wonderfully! Do you make your own salves? What types do you make, I would love to know.

Blessings

Ash-Lynn


4 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm loving the new layout and color scheme. <3

    Also, thanks for posting this how-to. This will be perfect for my nose. I've had a terrible cold and my nose is completely raw, chapped and cracking from blowing it so much!

    I don't make my own products but this is definitely a good start.

    BB )O( 3O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color! I'm allergic to mint. Can arnica be a good substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes most definitely, arnica can be used to alleviate pain, swelling, and bruises.

      Delete