July 7, 2013

Dancing Under The Moon - Clothing Optional

Yesterday my friend Kammie posted the following on FB and it got me thinking about the subject of clothing and Pagan's/Witches.


Here in the Pagan community, we like to encourage women to free their bodies from the confines of clothing and to veil for the sake of spiritual protection. But Gods forbid a woman chooses to veil or dress conservatively simply to be modest. She's obviously oppressed by the Patriarchy *rolls eyes* and needs to re-program her mind to let it all hang out. It's not like she has the right to choose who gets to see her body and who doesn't. 
So many times I have heard/read that witches like to dance skyclad/naked under the full moon, I myself have danced under the full moon but never naked; it's just not my thing. I know that some Pagans/Witches think that if you go skyclad during rituals, etc to be closer to nature etc, but it is it necessary.

I personally think how we dress in or out of ritual is up to the individual, just like with anything else that come with the craft. I also don't think anyone should be judged on how they walk their path, because it's just that "theirs".

What is your opinion on this subject, should we "Dance Naked Under The Moon"?

 

7 comments:

  1. I'm right with you, my lady. The first thing is freedom of choice. People should wear what they like, and like you, I've dance under the moon but with clothes on. I mean, imagine the mosquitoes ;-D

    Here is a post I wrote some years ago on the issue:Witches Dance Naked in the Woods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful post Magaly, as always it hits the nail on the head. yeah being in the south I can very well imagine the mosquitoes :P

      Delete
  2. I think it should be up to the individual because as you say it is their path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naked has never been my thing. Perhaps if I was thin I'd think differently. But as a good friend once told me, I make the Earth more beautiful by keeping my cloths on!

    Now for healings, I do prefer to take my shoes off. Rubber soles are not exactly good for energy flow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely, I am barefoot 99.9% of the time there is nothing better than being barefoot with your toes on the ground or in the dirt.

      Delete
  4. I definitely agree with you. Who are we to judge how another person worships, let alone what they wear while they do so? A person should wear what makes them feel magickal, or connected, or powerful, etc., be it nothing, or robes, or pajamas, or normal everyday clothes. I get so annoyed with pagan elitists who think that magick "requires" changing into a special set of clothes (or removing clothes), just because that's how they get their magickal groove on (or because someone else told them that's how it has to be). I say whatever you want to wear, rock on with your witchy self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the bit about pajamas, I have a purple nightgown with moons and stars all over it, that I love to wear during rituals :)

      Delete