February 27, 2014

Headaches, Heartaches, and Dreams...

OK, so my respiratory infection is history, wish I could say they same for my spinal headaches; but hey they are being managed pretty well and that's a good thing.

Image found on Google+

I want to talk about something that means a lot to me. Tonight as I was helping my daughter type up her Black History project I was overcome by emotions of every kind from sadness to pride and even rage. My daughter chose to do her project on Medgar Evers, for those who don't know he was a civil rights activist who was gunned down in his driveway, while his wife and 3 small children were inside.

It took 30 years to bring the slime who did this to justice, and that's where my emotions come into play. I am saddened to the point of tears that all this man wanted was for his children to grow up in a world where they are treated like everyone else and a coward shot him in the back or this.

I have great pride in the fact that the white DA chose to take this case to trial despite all the time that had passed, numerous death threats against him and his family, and even his wife leaving him. I have pride in the fact that I have raised my daughters to be blind. Blind to race, blind to religion, blind to sexual orientation, and keep their eyes open to love.

And then there's rage, and I have a ton of it. I have rage towards the ass clowns in Arizona who call themselves loving Christians and show such hate at the same time. I have rage towards the person who had the gall to ask dear sweet Magaly for help, and then ask her if that help would be attached to her Pagan stuff. I have rage towards the ignorant people out there including my asshat ex-husband who has the nerve to use the "N" word in very derogatory ways aimed at my friends and neighbors.

But, as Dr. King said I have a Dream. I dream of a day when my daughter can marry who she chooses not who the government says she can. I dream that one day there will be no racists left on this or any other planet. I dream of being able to walk out into my yard and scream "Hey world I'm a Witch" and not being afraid of the consequences. I know that if we continue to raise our children to be blind to hate these dreams will come true and we will live in a better world. I'd like to leave you with a quote from Medgar Evers...


“Hate is a wasteful emotion, most of the people you hate don't know you hate them and the rest don't care.”
― Medgar Evers

2 comments:

  1. Through out history , haven't you noticed that when times become challenging (economics especially) the bigots bloom? A cracked pot, like Hitler would never have succeeded if the times were better. Fear and desperation in society is all a self serving Ego monster needs to drag society BACK in time...
    Yes rage....I've been watching this unfolding in Arizona . really? 2014 not 1960 Mississpippi. How low will the republicans stope to get back into the White House?
    Politics , Sex, Oh , and Religion ( all choices) have caused our species to enialate each other
    Many feel as you dear heart. I know it doesn't seem that way as the media has no story in tolerance and love, but when push comes to shove....the masses will rise up. I would not shop in a place that discriminates on any level , in the 1960's or now in 2014....law or not....
    So LoVE it is!!! xoDebi in Canada and a survivers of the 60's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the good thing from Arizona is that good sense prevailed in the end. I take heart from that and I don't think these divisive laws will be able to stick. It's having the reverse effect that the bigots wanted; it's making it clear that ordinary people won't stand for this kind of stupidity and that tolerance and acceptance is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete