April 11, 2013

Diamond Or Coal?

Today, Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy posted the following picture and asked, "Are you a diamond or coal?"


When I first saw her question, I could not see the entire picture(I was on my phone). So I related the question to my/our spiritual selves. Once I saw the entire picture I realized I was mistaken. However I still ask myself when it comes to my spiritual self, "Am I a diamond, or am I still coal?" After mulling this over in my head for a while I decided it would be an awesome discussion.

First lets start with what we know about diamonds and coal. lets start with diamonds.

Diamonds are hard, beautiful, highly sought after and most have been or will be cut to fit a preformed facet and will stay that way forever, never changing. 
Coal on the other hand is an ever changing highly sought after resource, that starts it's life as a soft little lump, coal is ever changing in its form and use. It can be many things to different people.

Now I know you want to know what do those definitions have to do with our spiritual selves? A lot I think. When I'm asking this question, I am asking about how you define your spiritual self/path.

I'm asking are you like the diamond, with a preconceived notion of what your religion/spirituality is and how or what you should do in the context of the path your on?

Or, are you like the coal, ever changing, always seeking knowledge, seeking out different different ways to do things and finding out there are many paths out there to explore?

Now in asking myself this question, the answer came to me very easy, I am a lump of coal, I will never fit into a nice little facet/path, and I will never stop learning and exploring when it comes to my spiritual path. I never want to be the type of person who see's things in black and white(in any part o my life) I want to see in rainbows forever.

So now I ask you, are you a diamond or are you coal?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that I'm both, I am Wiccan and strongly follow the Rede. However, I am open to other peoples views and information they may provide about their spiritual paths.

    BTW, I love the new layout!

    Moon Willow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a lump of coal, ever learning and growing. I don't ever want to be so faceted/rooted in my thinking to think that there is nothing left to learn and no way of growing........for that would be a dull life to live, and not a life I want.

    Great post Ash!!!

    Blessings
    Earthchild
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete